Any activity which involves concentration, problem solving, or which may be emotionally upsetting should be avoided for an hour or more prior to bedtime. Such alerting activities can prevent an individual from falling asleep at his or her desired bedtime. Especially avoid doing such things in your bedroom as associations between the bedroom and being alert may develop. Also, do not leave a television or computer screen on, or anything that emits light (e.g., bright digital clocks).
Articles in this section
- How does sleep relate to weight?
- How much sleep do I need?
- What is a Pre-Bed Routine?
- What should I avoid before bed?
- What are some good pre-bed activities?
- Why is sleep important?
- Do energy drinks affect sleep?
- How do nicotine and smoking tobacco affect sleep?
- How does nutrition affect sleep?
- Should I read or watch television in bed?